Myotherapists hold an Advanced Diploma of Remedial Massage (Myotherapy) qualification. They are highly educated to assess and physically treat myofascial pain, injury and dysfunction affecting movement and mobility.
Myotherapy is applied in the preventative, corrective and rehabilitative phases of therapy to restore and maintain the normal integrity of the soft tissue structure (muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia) of the human body.
Pain or symptoms caused by muscle (myo) or fascia is described as myofascial.
Myofascial pain is usually not specific and is often described by the patient as a ‘deep ache’, ‘tightness’ or ‘tenderness’ in an area. It can vary in intensity and radiate to other areas. Other symptoms can include reduced range of motion of muscles and joints, stiffness, fatigue, weakness, numbness or a tingling sensation. There are many other symptoms depending on the condition and patients can have one or many symptoms.
Common conditions that Myotherapists can treat include:
- Sporting & occupational injuries
- Stiffness & pain associated with poor posture
- Associated joint & vertebral dysfunction & pain
- Acute & chronic conditions affecting function & mobility
- Scoliosis / Kyphosis
- Headaches / migraines
- Acute and chronic stiff and painful neck
- Chronic overuse syndromes
- Acute & chronic back pain / ‘sciatica’
- Shoulder pain, impingement syndrome
- Hand & finger numbness / tingling – thoracic outlet syndrome
- Knee, leg & foot pain – shin splints, patella tracking dysfunction, runners knee, ankle sprains
- Arthritis / Multiple Sclerosis
- Pregnancy – pre/post natal complaints
- Chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia
- Pain & dysfunction associated with stress & tension
- This is a full hour with a qualified Myotherapist who will help identify and treat sites of chronic tension and/or weakness, along with postural factors, that cause ongoing pain and may contribute to injury.
- Our treatments are done using a wide range of different techniques including Soft tissue manipulation, Trigger Point Therapy, Myofascial dry needling, Myofascial release, Cupping, Thermal therapy / Cryotherapy, TENS machines, Postural assessment and correction, and Corrective exercises (stretches, strength).
- At Recover Sports Medicine we offer both 30 minute and 60 minute appointments with our Myotherapist
- Myotherapy Massage Treatment Packs available – please call 1300 858 774 for more details.
Cancellation/change of appointment
- We require 24 hours notice otherwise a cancellation fee may apply.